Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Behold: lasagna

I haven't been writing much lately, but I'm having creative little moments in the kitchen. Sunday I spent half the afternoon putting together two pans of lasagna, with some excellent ground sirloin from a new butcher--and thinly sliced zucchini replacing half the noodles.

It was almost a disaster when I realized we had no red wine--a must for the sauce. Thank goodness for the creepy little wine shop at the corner--I made it in the door one minute before they closed, covered with tomato, garlic and parsley bits, sweating like a beast and unabashedly untethered, much to the horror of the two old biddies in the parking lot.

Well worth any social shunning, let me tell you. Proof: J, who detests lasagna and once made me cry as a newlywed offering up my very first pan, ate 4 big pieces the first night. It was SO delicious--especially the celery, the garlicky sauce, the wine.

Why did I have to make him try it?

No comments: